interview

Afrobeat singer Seun kuti
Oluseun Anikulapo-Kuti is the youngest son of legendary Afrobeat pioneer, Fela. Seun leads his father's band, the 'Egypt 80' to date. In this interview with PATRICK EBI AMANAMA, he speaks on his music, lifestyle, amongst other issues.

What is the latest project you are working on?
I'm working on my new album right now, and we are also working on our tour. We are doing all the logistics, visas, passports, that's the immediate project.
What memories do you cherish most, when you look back at your childhood?
Basically, I had a very good childhood.Fela was an amazing parent. My mum was good to me as well. For me, my childhood was a big ball. You know, Fela raised us like royalty.

Did Femi give you any advice about the music industry?
I grew up with my father, you know. I got all my advice already. But you know, there is no kind of advice anyone can give anyone in the music industry. It's a learn-as-you-go kind of thing. You have to have your own personal experience, because what every artiste goes through in the cause of his development is not identical to the next artiste.Everybody has their own unique developmental story.

Describe your relationship with your siblings?
We are very close, except age wise. We were six, one is late; so five. Femi and Yeni are the eldest boy and girl in the family, and they are 20 years my senior. My other elder brother,Kunle, is 12 years my senior. And then, there is Motun, my immediate elder sister. She is only six days my senior. So, the two of us are like 12 years from the first born. So, we are quite close. It's just that we are all in different generation. So, we don't share the same interest all the time, but in terms of siblings relationship, we are quite close.
You were 14 when Fela died, what do you miss most about him?

Well, Fela was my father. You know, it's a long time now since he died. The most important thing to me now is his presence. I miss him being around. I think of what would happen if I were able to have a discussion with him today. Knowing everything I know now, those are the kind of things you miss. I just miss him being around.

Post a Comment