A 43-year-old housewife, Hauwa Ali, on Wednesday pleaded with a Grade 1 Area Court in Wuse, Abuja, to dissolve her eight year-old marriage.


She accused her businessman husband, Shuaibu Ali, 72, of calling her a prostitute, “for no just cause,” the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
She said, “He is always insulting me and referring to me as a prostitute. He calls me terrible names whenever he is angry.

“I am fed up, I cannot relate freely with any unmarried man because I will get into trouble with my husband,’’ she said.
“He has refused to give me and my son money to feed for the past five months.
“I can no longer tolerate the insults. I want this court to dissolve this marriage and grant me full custody of my only son.”

Responding, Shaibu said it was true that he had not given his wife money for the past five months.
“I have not given her any money for five months because I am not the only one sleeping with her.
“When I married her, I was well-to-do but because I took ill and I no longer have money to take care of her, she started complaining and misbehaving.

“During the period of my illness, she went ahead to incur debts and started moving about with different men without minding that she will be seen or caught,” he said.
He insisted that the only problem he had with his wife “is that she follows different men.”
He added, “Apart from mingling with men, I do not have any other problem with her.
“She is still my wife and I will not grant her divorce request.”
After listening to both the petitioner and her husband, the judge, Qaseem Muhammed adjourned the case till November 5.
She, however, advised the couple to “try and settle their differences before then.”

Post a Comment